[Container-tools] HyperV

Ian McLeod imcleod at redhat.com
Thu Nov 5 04:35:03 UTC 2015

On 11/04/2015 12:03 PM, Langdon White wrote:
> On another thread, hyper-v was mentioned as the only hypervisor
> available on windows these days. I have installed vbox on windows 10
> and used it with vagrant just fine.
>
> I would like to see hyper-v as well, but it didn't make the cutoff for
> this release.

Two quick points:

1) Brew can already generate a vpc/vhdx disk image file, which can be
imported into a HyperV environment relatively easily.  I believe this is
already done for RHEL Atomic Host.  See the vhd artifact in this build
for example:

https://brewweb.devel.redhat.com/buildinfo?buildID=451175

2) I'm working on HyperV _Vagrant_ support in Factory, which requires
generating HyperV OVA bundles.  I've reached out for some assistance
from MS on this.

If I don't get it, I'm prepared to brute force it by dissecting the XML
format HyperV uses for OVA bundles.  From what I've seen so fa the XML
generated by HyperV is significantly less human-readable than what I
encountered when adding support for the equivalent OVAs for Virtualbox
and VMWare, so it may be a bit of a slog.

One side note on this.  Vagrant's docs suggest HyperV is supported on
Windows 8.1 only and not earlier HyperV implementation Windows Server:

http://docs.vagrantup.com/v2/hyperv/

Has anyone (Langdon) tried it on Windows 10?

-Ian