[Container-tools] CDK Server Adapter - First Demo

Langdon White langdon at redhat.com
Thu Nov 5 15:09:33 UTC 2015

On 11/05/2015 08:36 AM, Hardy Ferentschik wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Well, I tried to at least.  As I said, I ran the command to re-install it,
>> and it says it installed 0.0.19,  but the cdk folder still only has the
>> 0.0.8 gem... so... that seems pretty weird.
> The cdk folder just contains a specific version of the plugin to be installed
> via 'vagrant plugin install vagrant-registration-0.0.8.gem'
>
> Note, in the above command I specified the full name of the gem file. Only this way
> it will install the plugin provided by file. The readme mentions
> 'vagrant plugin install vagrant-registration' which is wrong if you want to install
> the plugin from file. In the latter case the latest version from rubygems.org will
> be installed (https://rubygems.org/gems/vagrant-registration/versions/0.0.19).

we need to fix this in the cdk-2 docs.

> TBH, I am not sure why the gem is included here at all. The vagrant way is
> via rubygems.org and if a specific versions needs to be enforced, it could be
> done via 'vagrant plugin install vagrant-registration --plugin-version 0.0.19'
> This would be less confusing imo.

yeah... This is a "distribution requirement" . If we tell customers we
support something, we need to ship the *exact* version(s) we support. As
a result, we have the gems built from dist-git in the cdk.zip to ensure
that support has a "known good" version to work from.