[Container-tools] Duplicate POD names

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.ch
Wed Nov 18 11:20:13 UTC 2015

Hi there,

In my application suite, I have multiple individual applications that
use a database -- MariaDB. I would like to use centos/mariadb via
projectatomic/mariadb-centos7-atomicapp, but I'm running in to the issue
where the "mariadb" pod already exists:

>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/atomicapp-0.1.12-py2.7.egg/atomicapp/providers/kubernetes.py",
> line 129, in _call
>     raise Exception(str(stderr))
> Exception: Error from server: error when creating
> "/var/lib/atomicapp/kolab-atomicapp/.workdir/mariadb-atomicapp/artifacts/kubernetes/mariadb-pod.yaml":
> pods "mariadb" already exists

I've attempted using the "generateName" property for the pod definition,
but this doesn't validate in atomicapp:

>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/atomicapp-0.1.12-py2.7.egg/atomicapp/providers/kubernetes.py",
> line 129, in _call
>     raise Exception(str(stderr))
> Exception: The Pod "mariadb" is invalid.
> spec.containers[0].name: required value

I've obtained the 'generateName' property from [1] under the heading of
"Pod configuration file".

Are there any plans to support the "generateName" property?

Alternatively, what would you suggest to try?

[1] https://cloud.google.com/container-engine/docs/pods/multi-container

--
Regards,

-- Jeroen