[Container-tools] Success with Eclipse+"CDK"

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Fri Nov 20 07:40:59 UTC 2015

Taking the liberty to cc'ing this to container-tools@ since I find it
useful for others to see what works (and what does not :)

> Based on
> https://brewweb.devel.redhat.com/taskinfo?taskID=10116077
> http://pkgs.devel.redhat.com/cgit/rpms/adb-atomic-bundle/plain/components/rhel/rhel-docker-eclipse/Vagrantfile?h=cdk2.0-rhel-7
>
> I was able to get a my old demo projects [1][2] working via Eclipse -
> using the nightly Docker and nightly JBoss Tools (Eclipse Mars.1).

Great!

For those watching it, this "just" shows the generic docker tooling.
None of the "CDK enhanced" features are in this (yet).

> https://vimeo.com/146347864
> password: vagrant

Answers to some of the questions you raised in here:

4:21 selection not working in editor - I've pinged Konstantin on that.
It should work.

7:00 you get the spring icon on your app because browsers tend to
aggressively cache favicon's and I reckon the last time it cached
localhost:8080 you were running a spring app :)

btw. Eclipse Mars has a decent terminal now - try cmd+3 "local terminal"
- sometimes useful to avoid having to swap too much back and forth in
videos/demos/talks.

> I did send a different email to Xavier earlier in the evening (my
> evening) asking about how to express the MySQL docker run statement in
> Eclipse.
>
> docker run --name mysqldb -p 3306:3306 -e MYSQL_USER=mysql -e
> MYSQL_PASSWORD=mysql -e MYSQL_DATABASE=sample -e
>  MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD=supersecret -d mysql

There is "Next" button on the wizard :)

![](cid:954F4C68-E814-4456-8E88-6E2E6B615397 at redhat.com
"Run_a_Docker_Image_and_1____Downloads_MyEclipse_2015_OSS_org_jboss_ide_eclipse_core_src-genuitec__zsh_.png")

![](cid:535D57DB-B057-4D0C-B8FA-007FF5107A50 at redhat.com
"Run_a_Docker_Image.png")

Hope the above images explain it enough ;)

One note of warning: the current nightly docker don't provide a way to
*rerun* images so you have to manually enter the above again and again.
Xavier has a patch for it waiting to be included - that will help
immensely on actually using docker actively.

One feature I've requested since day one is that we could parse a docker
CLI to setup this wizard and likewise generate a docker cli based on the
wizard.... but I haven't convinced Jeff et.al. yet on the usefulness of
this.

> [1] https://github.com/burrsutter/docker_tutorial
> [2] https://github.com/burrsutter/docker_mysql_tutorial

/max