[Container-tools] Nanobox Vs ADB

Praveen Kumar kumarpraveen.nitdgp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 06:20:49 UTC 2015

On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 10:26 PM, Brian (bex) Exelbierd <bex at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2015, at 11:20 AM, Praveen Kumar <kumarpraveen.nitdgp at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yesterday Michal pointed out about nanobox[0] and raised a point if
>> this is kind of similar which we do with ADB. I am putting here to
>> discuss before it goes off from my mind. To be honest I didn't try it
>> myself yet but will sure do it on tomorrow or during weekend.
>> Interesting part is, it provide binary for Windows/Mac/Linux and
>> currently in Alpha stage.
>>

>> [0] https://desktop.nanobox.io/
>
> I took a quick look at the demo and read through part of the site.  I don't think I missed anything, but I am open to learning more.
>
> They appear to be building micro-dev environments directly.  We have a different model with the ADB.  Specifically we are trying enable generic container development through the full stack from bare docker to a PaaS environment (OpenShift).  At the PaaS level, we can use the templates in OpenShift to achieve what they are getting with their code/language detection routine.  We don't do that at the lower levels today, but with the addition of DevAssistant down the road we will be basically there.

I also took some time to go through the demo and tried out a basic app
using nanobox. Points which you made are vaild and it does detect
routine going through code base and it have custom engines for
different languages (sample python[0]). It also allow to create custom
engine[1] as per developer requirements. Another point which I noticed
is it doesn't have any support for libvirt so virtualbox is hard
requirement for it.

> Another thing we are doing is providing an environment that is as close to identical to production as possible.  I don't believe their environment is really production ready or guaranteed to be production-like.  They provide a great shared consistent dev environment.

Agreed, It only focused to developer experience not for production
kind of environment.

> They do one thing that is interesting.  They wrap all of vagrant up in their own commands.  This may be a good route to go in the future with the ADB as it would allow us to call logical sequences of Vagrant and plugin commands seamlessly.  Combine this with some installer magic and it could be awesome.

Yeah they do have lot of installer magic which is tightly wrapped with vagrant.

[0] https://github.com/nanobox-io/nanobox-engine-python
[1] https://desktop.nanobox.io/engine-dev/

--
Praveen Kumar