[Container-tools] Creating a download location for ADB Vagrant boxes

Lalatendu Mohanty lmohanty at redhat.com
Wed Oct 14 15:45:29 UTC 2015

On 10/14/2015 09:01 PM, Dusty Mabe wrote:

> On 10/14/2015 11:28 AM, Lalatendu Mohanty wrote:
>> On 10/08/2015 04:02 PM, Lalatendu Mohanty wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> As part of ADB project we are planning to do time based release
>>> (i.e. every month) +  intermediate releases for blocker bugs and
>>> security issues etc.
>>>
>>> There are two ways to deliver the vagrant box to users.
>>>
>>> 1. Making the box available somewhere, so that users can download it
>>> through http or ftp.
>>> 2. Uploading or link the Vagrant box from atlas.hashicorp.com
>>>
>>> So for both the two delivery mechanism we need a http/ftp download
>>> location to put the boxes, so that community can consume it.
>>> Currently the box is CentOS based, so we are discussing to get the
>>> ADB Vagrant included in to CentOS SIG (most be Atomic SIG or
>>> something appropriate) [1] .
>>>
>>> However it is moving slowly then expected, so I think it would be
>>> better to get a http/ftp location where we can host boxes for
>>> community to consume. It will help us in below things.
>>>
>>> 1. This location can be used to host things from container tools team.
>>> 2. We can host the Vagrant box till it is accepted in respective
>>> communities.
>>>
>>> Comments/suggestions are welcome.
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2015-September/013777.html
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Lala
>>

>> ADB is accepted in to  the Atomic SIG.  This means CentOS can host
>> the ADB Vagrant box  in an http location which the SIG produces. That
>> kind of solves lot of things with respect to download location for ADB.
>>
>> However I think having a separate download location for upstream ADB
>> will help in agility of upstream of ADB. For example if we want to
>> produce something  which is not ready for the CentOS community (Or
>> SIG) we can host it on the ADB download location .
>
> Would these be just development/beta boxes for us to use when testing?
> If so you might be able to use something like
> https://dustymabe.fedorapeople.org/ . Although it would be better to
> have a more official location.
>
> Dusty

Dusty,

It might be experimental stuff  or something which only targets a small
user base etc. Hopefully Atomic SIG will work well for ADB, if not we
can always use the upstream download location as a fall back.
I have a https://lalatendu.fedorapeople.org/ , but not sure how much
space we can get there and yes, official location is better.

Thanks,
Lala