[Container-tools] Nulecule/OpenShift demo plan, progress and questions

Christoph Görn goern at redhat.com
Fri Oct 16 18:30:11 UTC 2015

Hey all, Mark,
 some comment inlined...

	//G

On 10/16/2015 05:15 PM, Aaron Weitekamp wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 9:24 AM, Mark Lamourine
> <markllama at redhat.com <mailto:markllama at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
> As I noted in yesterday's scrum, I think I finally have a plan for
> work to create a portable atomicapp.
>
> I'm planning on using the mlbparks demo from the OpenShift
> Roadshow [1].  The sequence will run like this:
>
> 1) Learn to run it in openshift 2) Export the images and port to
> atomicapp 3) Re-import atomicapp to openshift.
>
> This is also going to include coordinating work with OpenShift to
> create an atomicapp image that runs in OpenShift and has access to
> the oc client, the calling user's credentials. That's going to
> take several steps as well:
>
> 1) create a "hello world" atomicapp that merely connects to the
> openshift server, logs in and checks status. - add oc binary layer
>

> ​Yes, we need this in the atomicapp base image in the short term
> for the initial PoC unless someone can point to an alternative. ​ -
> takes credentials as input
>
> 2) update to assume credentials are provided
>
> This is the goal for the PoC.

I would like to see a slightly broader goal: replace parts of the OSE3
roadshow lab with nuleculized content.

> 3) coordinate with openshift team to update oc command to either
> recognize atomicapps by label or by CLI flag to the OC command
>
> ​We're doing this via label. PR
> https://github.com/projectatomic/atomicapp/pull/334
>
> 4) create complete atomicapp capable of running in all three
> environments
>
> ​Our one uber example should be the target for this. We need to
> decide what this is.

If you take a look at lab 6 and 7 of the OSE3 roadshow, it will deploy
 some EAP and Mongodb. Both could be reused to show a good Nulecule
 Uber Example:

1. persistent storage - for mongodb nodes
2. deploy (via atomicapp) and scale (via oc) a mongodb replica set
3. deploy a dependent component (EAP)

> I need to get the source images from registry.access.redhat.com
> <http://registry.access.redhat.com> (.openshift.com
> <http://openshift.com>?) Aaron, where was the json file with the
> locations of the images on registry? I've got access to the
> internal OpenShift service [2]
>

> ​List of images:
> https://access.redhat.com/search/#/container-images>
>

> Christoph, you indicated in the scrum call that there were changes
> that would be needed to the MLB demo to make it work in nulecule.
> Can you outline them for me?
>
> I'm going to be creating cards for these in the Container Tools
> trello and I'll need to coordinate with someone in OpenShift who
> can either do the work to add the nulecule awareness or guide me in
> how best to do it.  If I have to do that part too the openshift
> part is at risk in the November time frame.
>
> [1] http://training.runcloudrun.com/roadshow/06-jboss.md.html [2]
> https://console.engint.openshift.com/console/
>
> - Mark
>
> -- Mark Lamourine <mlamouri at redhat.com
> <mailto:mlamouri at redhat.com>> Sr. Software Developer, Cloud
> Strategy Red Hat, 314 Littleton Road, Westford MA 01886 Voice: +1
> 978 392 1093 <tel:%2B1%20978%20392%201093>
> http://people.redhat.com/~mlamouri markllama @
> irc://irc.freenod.org <http://irc.freenod.org>*lopsa

- --
Principal Software Engineer - Systems Design & Engineering
Mobile: +49 171 2801345

Follow Us: https://twitter.com/RedHatRefArch
Plus Us: https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/114152126783830728030/
Like Us: https://www.facebook.com/rhrefarch

Red Hat GmbH, http://www.de.redhat.com/ Sitz: Grasbrunn,
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht München, HRB 153243
Geschäftsführer: Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham, Michael O'Neill,
Charles Peters