[Container-tools] Testing CDK + Eclipse Docker Tooling for VirtualBox provider

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Thu Sep 3 08:24:17 UTC 2015

On 2 Sep 2015, at 19:46, Carl Trieloff wrote:

> On 09/02/2015 08:06 AM, Xavier Coulon wrote:
>> I can see from the tooling that the VM runs Docker 1.7.1, so I guess
>> that the Docker daemon needs to be upgraded.
>>

> 1.8 not stable enough yet, so in the near term it is going to need to
> be
> 1.7 patched.  key is making sure we have all the right back ports
> included.

so this raises a concern I have had a while for Docker.

They seem to insist having a very hard coupling between docker client
and docker server versions.

i.e. if you have docker machine installed with Docker 1.8, you will not
be able to use a docker 1.7 server.

There is this discussion on
https://github.com/docker/docker/issues/11486 but it really not making
me hopeful ;)

I don't have a good solution for this except that on Eclipse side we'll
do what we can to be compatible
with multiple versions so the tooling can actually work with the latest
stuff while still using the supported bits.

Just wondering how we'll cope with this in CDK and tools around it and
if we have any leeway in helping docker to have
a more sustainable view on handling client/server communications between
different clients ?

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen