[Container-tools] Version incompatibility of Docker client and server - projectatomic/vagrant-adbinfo issue #85

Shubham Minglani sminglan at redhat.com
Fri Feb 5 12:31:49 UTC 2016

> > > My suggestion is to package equivalent docker client in the ADB box (
> > > for Linux, OSX, Windows) and then we can expose these binaries through
> > > http server or equivalent.
> >
> > Is there a working docker native windows client yet ?
> >
> > AFAIK, I did not see docker native windows client, they have shifted
> > to docker toolbox. This tool box does all the setup related to docker
> > including boot2docker.
>
> Check https://github.com/docker/docker/releases , so docker does
> provide release client for different operating system. You can
> directly download binary and try that out with ADB (which contains
> docker 1.8.2). Now adbinfo can check available version and if mismatch
> then download required version. I tested Linux client v1.8.2 and it
> worked as expected.
>
> # wget https://get.docker.com/builds/Linux/x86_64/docker-1.8.2 -o
> /opt/docker-1.8.2
> # chmod +x /opt/docker-1.8.2
> # eval "$(vagrant adbinfo)"
> # /opt/docker-1.8.2 images

Hi Praveen,

Where do you suggest we install this docker client? Will we not have to install/upgrade/downgrade the docker client on the base machine?
I'm wanting to ask that are we willing to install/modify docker on the base machine?
If not, why not use the docker API client of the same version as present in ADB (docker-py or similar)?

Please correct me if I'm not getting this right!

- Shubham