[Container-tools] Why 'atomic' cli when 'atomicapp' serves the purpose

Charlie Drage cdrage at redhat.com
Fri Feb 5 14:58:04 UTC 2016

We had numerous discussions with the Atomic CLI team in regards to the splitting
of Atomic and Atomic App or at least a compromise between the two.

For ex. using "atomic app run" instead of "atomic run" which would be
an alias to atomicapp (either imported as a library or whatever), or
having atomic app natively on Atomic host. Albit this was discussed,
we did not implement it.

The biggest pain being that in order to use atomicapp effectively we have
to circumvent some Atomic CLI commands (for ex. we added --mode
run/fetch/install, so we can use "fetch" in atomicapp via atomic run
projectatomic/helloapache --mode fetch).

Unfortunatley due to the minimalism of Project Atomic hosts (Fedora 22
Atomic Host, CentOS Atomic Host, etc. they don't even have git since
it requires perl dependencies? ) our discussions lead to leaving
it to how it was before and using --mode in atomic CLI instead.

But yes, you can if you choose, to skip "atomic" and use "atomicapp"
for the deployment and stopping of the packaged container. Although at
the moment it's not suggested in production environments (Atomic,
Hosts, etc.), for dev though it should be fine.

I'd like to bring back this discussion if possible. If anyone else
would like to reply to this in order to offer a different viewpoint
then that would be great!