[Container-tools] Why do we have "rhel-docker-eclipse"?

Lalatendu Mohanty lmohanty at redhat.com
Mon Feb 15 10:20:09 UTC 2016

On 02/15/2016 01:24 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:

> On 12 Feb 2016, at 21:59, Brian (bex) Exelbierd wrote:
>
>         On Feb 6, 2016, at 4:01 PM, Burr Sutter bsutter at redhat.com
>         <mailto:bsutter at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>         One Vagrantfile would best from a user experience perspective.
>
>         The RHEL team really want an option that “turns off Openshift”
>         and “turns on pure Kubernetes” Now, this k8s user is
>         definitely more “hardcore” and he/she would be comfortable
>         with some work on the linux command line to perform this trick.
>
>         Can we have one Vagrantfile that defaults to a “docker + oc”
>         experience and offers a command line switch to go to pure k8s?
>
>     I believe it is better to have a Vagrantfile up front and center
>     starts the preferred environment, in this case, OpenShift and
>     additional Vagrantfiles that do other things available or easily
>     created from documentation.
>
>     A user who doesn't want what the project considers the default is
>     going to get annoyed pretty quickly at having to always boot what
>     they don't want just so that they can turn on what they want and
>     sit through another provisioning cycle.
>
>     There is no single "correct" Vagrantfile in my opinion. Our
>     simplification efforts will pay big dividends, but we shouldn't
>     try to solve it all in one "mother" file.
>
> It might be there is not a single vagrant file that can handle
> everything and the kitchensink, but
> there is /one/ vagrant file that is more right than the others - and
> that is the default experience
> we want majority of our users to have on first download/usage of the CDK.
>
> That is what Burr is referring to above around one Vagrantfile -
> having a simple and consistent
> out of box experience.
>
> I thought this was what we agreed on last week ?
>
> A) Delete the rhel-docker-eclipse (since it is badly named - it has
> nothing to do with eclipse)
> B) One Vagrantfile to be in the zip distro for users to use
> C) Other vagrant files in docs or in a "misc" folder.
>
> /max
> http://about.me/maxandersen

Yes, we agreed on this for RHEL CDK. We will fix it for the next weekly
build.

However for ADB (upstream of CDK)  we (contributors)  want to treat all
the environments e.g. K8s, OpenShift and Mesos etc equally. This does
not mean reducing the user experience of OpenShift Origin but treating
all of the providers equally. In my mind I have this idea of a simple
Vagrantfile and then user chooses a provider (by putting one line) and
gets his environment.

When we have this ready , CDK can choose the default Vagrantfile with
Openshift as the default provider.

Thanks,
Lala