[Container-tools] portable docker files with respect to volumes?

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 08:07:06 UTC 2016

Hey,

Been battling how to actually write portable docker files that will work
in native docker, boot2docker, openshift etc.

Things works pretty fine until I hit volumes.

What is the best practice for allowing mount of a volume and that the
user used in docker have access ?

with boot2docker my user must be root or not having (g)id 1000 otherwise
it won't be able to write to the volumes [1]

openshift says my user cannot be root and I cannot rely on the numerical
value of (g)id [2]

Thus how does one make a docker file that will work in both scenarios ?

Anyone with some tips on that ?

[1] https://github.com/boot2docker/boot2docker/issues/581
[2]
https://docs.openshift.com/enterprise/3.1/creating_images/guidelines.html