[Container-tools] Security vs. Usability: atomic commands and permissions

Josh Berkus jberkus at redhat.com
Sat Feb 27 02:15:45 UTC 2016

Folks,

So I'm testing the new atomicapp tutorial documentation, and one thing
I'm running across as a major usability issue for Linux desktop
developers is that most of the commands require sudo, and create files
which are owned and editable only by root.  Which means that I can't
easily pull, fork and modify Nulecule applications for my own use in my
text editor of choice (Atom, for example).

Now, this isn't a problem if you're running in an atomic host VM, where
you're logged in as root.  But supposedly one of the benefits of using
Fedora Workstation as your dev environment is not needing to run a VM.
We should be promoting it as the superior developer OS.

Now, I know that the "docker group" approach which Docker takes has some
major security issues ... but if we're not going to support that, then
we need something else which is equally easy to use for developers on
their own laptops.

Ideas?

Josh Berkus
Project Atomic