[Container-tools] Ways to enable Vagrant Service-Manager plugin

Budh Ram budhram.gurung01 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 09:15:15 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 2:41 PM, Lalatendu Mohanty <lmohanty at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On 02/29/2016 02:34 PM, Budh Ram wrote:
>
> On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 2:09 PM, Brian (bex) Exelbierd < <bex at pobox.com>
> bex at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 26, 2016, at 6:15 PM, Budh Ram < <budhram.gurung01 at gmail.com>
>> budhram.gurung01 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > We would like to get input on different ways of enabling "vagrant
>> service-manager" plugin [1].
>> >
>> > We could come up with following possible ways:
>> >
>> > 1. Enable for all Vagrant boxes regardless.
>>
>> I think this is too invasive.
>>

> I believe this one is default behavior of every vagrant plugin. If one
> don't want feature, then it should not be installed.
>

>> > 2. Set "enabled" flag "true" in Vagrantfile unless we specify any
>> service(s).
>> >
>> >    config.servicemanager.enabled = true
>> >
>> >    or
>> >
>> >    config.servicemanager.services = 'openshift'
>>
>> This would work.  I believe that "config.service-manager.services =
>> 'docker'" should also be accepted, even though it is a noop as pointed out
>> below.
>>
>> > 3. Detect when to enable based on a set of names(particulary box name
>> like 'projectatomic/adb')
>>
>> I like box detection.  I do not like detecting it via name.  Could we
>> scan for /etc/release information? How heavy would this be on unrelated
>> boxes, especially non-Linux ones?
>>

> Yes we can scan "/etc/os-release" and get the "VARIANT_ID" as "adb" or
> "cdk" and detact against the box mentioned in Vagrantfile. One concern is
> that the box name in Vagrantfile is combination of "projectatomic" and
> "adb"/"cdk". So, we can extract out "adb" / "cdk" and compare it. I hope
> this approach is fine.
>

> We should just use /etc/os-release to detect the ADB/CDK box.
> Vagrant-registration also only detects RHEL and prompts for user name and
> password AFAIR.

Ok. That's great. I think I got the answer. Here is what I think to trigger
the pluggin:
1. Scan "/etc/os-release" file.
2. Trigger the plugin if it has "VARIANT_ID" as "adb"  or  "cdk".

Please acknowledge.

The name in Vagrantfile can be changed by the user easily, so it is not a
> reliable thing.
>
> -Lala

Cheers!!!
Budh Ram Gurung