[Container-tools] CI for ADB

Pradeepto Bhattacharya pbhattac at redhat.com
Fri Jan 29 04:47:40 UTC 2016

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dharmit Shah" <dshah at redhat.com>
To: container-tools at redhat.com
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2016 6:50:22 PM
Subject: [Container-tools] CI for ADB

6. Also, every merge in the master branch of ADB will trigger a test of one
example for different provider as mentioned in point 3. This won't involve
building ADB from its Kickstart file. Latest ADB build will be used for the
purpose.

Instead of building post-merge, it can/should be built per PR. I believe, we are using GitHub and Jenkins in which case we are covered by an excellent plugin [0].

I have used it previously to a good effect in a project. Back then, we put in some checks like unit tests, Pylint etc that would run on very new PR and every new push to an existing PR. That way, the developer code review only happened when the plug-in gave a green signal and thus saved a lot of developer time.

IIRC, the plug-in clones the master and then pulls in the changes from the PR and after that the CI system is free to build, run tests etc or whatever it is configured to do.

Having said that, I would like to add two points -  1) if we can't use the plug-in for some reason like we can't add it to Jenkins or something else, I believe we could still replicate the idea by doing the Git operations mentioned above ourselves in our pipeline code. 2) This is not to say that we shouldn't test post merge, we definitely should run tests and whatever is required once merge is done.

[0]https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/GitHub+pull+request+builder+plugin

Regards,

Pradeepto