[Container-tools] Consolidate Docs for ADB (and related projects) into a single repo

Brian (bex) Exelbierd bex at pobox.com
Mon Jun 6 08:28:59 UTC 2016

I have given this a bit more thought and have some additional comments
inline:

On 05/26/2016 03:06 PM, Brian (bex) Exelbierd wrote:
> Hola,
>
> We'd like to consolidate the documentation related to the ADB into a new
> repository in ProjectAtomic GH namespace.  The working name for the repo
> is "Developer-Docs".

After further thought, I believe the right place for these docs to live
is in the ADB repo.  This is based on the belief that vagrant
service-manager is not intended to be used outside of the ADB and that
adb-utils exists as a separate repo primarily for packaging convenience.

If these beliefs are not true then we should still use a third-repo.

> The affected projects would be: ADB, Vagrant-Service-Manager and ADB-utils.
>
> The goal of this move is to:
> o Make it easier to tell a cohesive story and improve onboarding.
> o Enable deeper cross-linking
> o Enable easier community contribution (including downstream consumers)
> by centralizing docs to reduce "hunting"
> o Enable easier publishing to docs.projectatomic.io (very
> WIP/conceptual) - it will at least not make it harder
>
> Docs that are for developers working on the tools themselves will not be
> moved at this time.  This can be done if there is a general feeling this
> is valuable.
>
> Each sub-project repo's README would be updated to direct users to the
> docs in the published location (initially in the new repo).
>
> Given the impact of these changes, I'd like to see acks from an
> appropriate set of maintainers from each project.  If a project would
> like an issue to ack against in their project, please reply and I will
> create one.

I have opened issues for discussion in the repos as follows:

adb-utils: https://github.com/projectatomic/adb-utils/issues/137
vagrant service-manager:
https://github.com/projectatomic/vagrant-service-manager/issues/249
adb: https://github.com/projectatomic/adb-atomic-developer-bundle/issues/423