[Container-tools] Recommended CentOS based image for non-JBoss Java apps?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 05:08:46 UTC 2016

On 3 March 2016 at 02:42, Dusty Mabe <dusty at dustymabe.com> wrote:

> On 03/02/2016 01:41 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>>
>> Do we have a recommended base image for non-JBoss Java applications,
>> or should I be working out how to build my own from the raw CentOS 7
>> base?
>
> Most of the centos docker images are backed by the dockerfiles in this [1]
> repo. If we want something like what you are looking for I suggest we get it
> in there and then we can ask Jim Perrin to build it and put on Docker Hub.

OK, that sounds promising. I'm currently installing the 1.8 OpenJDK
RPM from CentOS (the same as the base image), and then a specific
upstream Maven release with wget (the same as the default maven image
on DockerHub).

However, looking at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/epel7 made me
realise there is actually a base maven package in the CentOS repos,
since there's one in RHEL, and sure enough, it's there in
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/os/x86_64/Packages/

Does anyone know if there's a way to use maven to upgrade itself the
way you can use "python -m pip install --upgrade pip" to upgrade pip?
If so, that might be nicer than downloading a specific tarball from
the apache.org archive server.

Regards,
Nick.

P.S. Searching on Google for "centos maven" doesn't provide any result
that indicates that "yum install maven" will just work these days
(even though it's a slightly older version).