[Container-tools] sshfs progress - try it out

Dusty Mabe dusty at dustymabe.com
Thu Mar 3 14:18:20 UTC 2016

On 03/03/2016 07:46 AM, Hardy Ferentschik wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> We need feedback from Max, Hardy and Xavier.
>
> I gave this sshfs a bit of a go, but running into several problems.
> First the install command causes some problems:
>
> $ vagrant plugin install vagrant-dusty-sshfs --plugin-source https://dustymabe.fedorapeople.org/gemrepo/

Hey hardy.. Since the time I originally sent the email I changed up
the name of the plugin and officially put it on GitHub in a new repo.

Please follow the instructions here in the README in this repo:

https://github.com/dustymabe/vagrant-sshfs

I sent out an announcement about this change here:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/container-tools/2016-February/msg00229.html

> Installing the 'vagrant-dusty-sshfs' plugin. This can take a few minutes...
> Bundler, the underlying system Vagrant uses to install plugins,
> reported an error. The error is shown below. These errors are usually
> caused by misconfigured plugin installations or transient network
> issues. The error from Bundler is:
>
> Could not find gem 'vagrant-dusty-sshfs (>= 0) ruby' in any of the gem sources listed in your Gemfile or available on this machine.
>
> Warning: this Gemfile contains multiple primary sources. Using `source` more than once without a block is a security risk, and may result in installing unexpected gems. To resolve this warning, use a block to indicate which gems should come from the secondary source. To upgrade this warning to an error, run `bundle config disable_multisource true`.Warning: this Gemfile contains multiple primary sources. Using `source` more than once without a block is a security risk, and may result in installing unexpected gems. To resolve this warning, use a block to indicate which gems should come from the secondary source. To upgrade this warning to an error, run `bundle config disable_multisource true`.
>
> I downloaded the gem locally instead and installed it via:
>
> $ vagrant plugin install ~/Downloads/vagrant-sshfs-0.1.0.gem

Great! You found it even though I changed the name!

> That worked. I added a synced folder directive to the Vagrantfile and did a 'vagrant up'.
> Now I get:
>
> ==> cdk: Installing SSHFS client...
> The following SSH command responded with a non-zero exit status.
> Vagrant assumes that this means the command failed!
>
> yum -y install fuse-sshfs
>
> Stdout from the command:
>
> Loaded plugins: product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager
> No package fuse-sshfs available.
>

> Stderr from the command:
>
> Error: Nothing to do
>
> Seems the required fuse-sshfs package is not available in any of the default repos
> configured for the CDK. So I guess my next question(s) are:
>
> - where do I get fuse-sshfs?
> - how do I get it installed on the CDK VM (aka which repos do I need to enable and how)?
> - is it possible to get fuse-sshfs pre-installed on the box?

The epel-release rpm should get installed into the box before
it tries to install fuse-sshfs. Can you run vagrant up --debug and
look at the output to see if epel-release gets properly isntalled
before it tries to install fuse-sshfs?

In the future, if SSHFS is a workable solution for us, we will have it
embedded in the CDK and we won't need to bother with installing it.

Thanks for testing and please give me further feedback.

Dusty