[Container-tools] STOP top posting in mailing list

Josh Berkus jberkus at redhat.com
Fri Mar 4 17:07:30 UTC 2016

On 03/04/2016 03:05 AM, Suraj Deshmukh wrote:
> Hi,
>

> With all due respect, Please read this [1] and stop top posting, in
> mailing list, it really makes it hard to read the flow of messages and
> replies.

Unfortunately, Red Hat's Zimbra-based webmail interface *only* supports
top-posting.  This is not a limitation of Zimbra, because I've used it
elsewhere, but it is a limitation of how RH chose to configure it.

There are also more than a few mobile clients which only support
top-posting, and I'm pretty sure that includes all of the ones which
work with RH's email servers.

So, while bottom-posting (and, for that matter, proper quoting) are
clearly superior, we have to grit our teeth and live with not alwasy
getting what we want.  The alternative is driving people away from the
list because we're making them responsible for the deplorable state of
email client technology.

Josh Berkus
Project Atomic
Red Hat OSAS