[Container-tools] Exploring a "Developer Workstation" option for Anaconda partitioning?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 12:26:55 UTC 2016

On 7 March 2016 at 18:59, Thien-Thi Nguyen <tnguyen at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
>> In my particular case, I'm in the process of reclaiming the old
>> never-actually-used Windows partition on this system and
>> reallocating that to "/" and docker-storage-setup, but that's
>> not a particularly desirable thing to be asking developers to do
>> to get a solid environment for container based development.
>
> Why is it not desirable?

The main user experience problem is that the default storage
configuration and the preferred configuration don't match - the
default is the default because it's currently the easiest to set up
automatically regardless of the starting state of your system, not
because it's a particularly good way to run Docker containers. That's
characteristic of a workaround, rather than a desirable long term
approach.

The maintenance problem is that there can be issues that only show up
with the loopback storage, and not devicemapper storage, or in cases
where you have two different storage back ends configured (e.g. the
1.10 image upgrade script only works automatically with a single
storage backend configured).

The marketing problem is that people may (and have) run performance
testing on the default configuration because they didn't realise they
needed to reconfigure their storage setup to get better performance.

Now, the original workaround was introduced for a reason, so it's
entirely possible that getting to the point of aligning the default
storage configuration and the preferred storage configuration is still
one for the "too hard" basket, even for fresh Fedora installs. I just
figured I may as well raise the question (even though I didn't know
any particularly suitable venue to raise it), rather than keeping the
observation to myself.

Regards,
Nick.