[Container-tools] Rethinking Nulecule

Lalatendu Mohanty lmohanty at redhat.com
Thu Mar 10 17:59:33 UTC 2016

On 03/10/2016 08:15 PM, Aaron Weitekamp wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 4:29 AM, Ratnadeep Debnath <rtnpro at gmail.com
> <mailto:rtnpro at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     Till now, Nulecule's focus has been to be a spec to package and ship
>     nested, composable multi container applications. Well, it helps us to
>     focus on a smaller problem and solve it well. This also keeps
>     implementation of Nulecule, e.g., atomicapp, lean and simple.
>
>     However, is it enough?
>

>     I will try to highlight a few shortcomings of the current Nulecule
>     spec:
>
>     - the spec file does not fully describe the architecture of the
>     applications
>     - it's difficult to get started with Nulecule as it requires knowledge
>     of underlying providers
>     - it's not possible to use the same Nulecule spec to deploy a Nulecule
>     application across providers without writing artifacts for each
>     provider
>

>     So, we are thinking in the lines of extending Nulecule SPEC to
>     describe a multi container application completely in the SPEC file,
>     similar to Docker compose file. This will enable us to:
>
>     - to automatically generate artifact files for underlying providers
>     from the SPEC file
>     - to override the generated artifact files, if needed
>

>     The advantages of such a change would be:
>
>     - zero barrier entry for developers
>     - package once, in one language, and deploy anywhere
>

>     This move will be beneficial to:
>
>     - developers, with little knowledge about openshift, k8s,
>     marathon, etc.
>

> ​I disagree that we can shoulder the burden of making openshift or
> kubernetes or anything else easier to use. We haven't been successful
> making our own tooling easy to use and adopt. The platform has to do
> this work.

I think we all agree that Nulecule is a great idea. But to make it
successful with respect to community  we need to make writing of
Nulecule spec relatively easier than writing Kubernetes configuration
files.

Either we take this task along with Nulecule/Atomic App or work with
Kubernetes project to do it. We can work with Kubernetes project for
this, but what should we do with other providers e.g. Mesos.

I am taking Kubernetes example because if we fix it it will be
applicable to OpenShift too. Point to note that writing Docker compose
files  is already easy as compared to Kubernetes configuration files.

So the experience should be better then writing Kubernetes files and
better or equal to writing Docker compose files.

Thanks,
Lala