[Container-tools] First time using cdkv2

Scott Collier scollier at redhat.com
Fri May 13 21:09:29 UTC 2016

Hiya,

This is my first time installing the CDK v2.  I deployed this on a
remote RHEL7.2 host.  Hopefully this is the right list.  Sorry if these
have already been posted and answered.  Figured I'd pass along my notes:

1. Followed this guide:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en/red-hat-enterprise-linux-atomic-host/version-7/container-development-kit-installation-guide/#installing_the_cdk_on_fedora_or_red_hat_enterprise_linux

At one point when staging the environment it asks you to install some
packages from the CentOS repos.  That command fails, because by default
you don't have the gpg key installed.  Fails with:

"Public key for sclo-vagrant1-rubygem-netrc-0.7.7-8.el7.noarch.rpm is
not installed"

You can get around that with a --nogpgcheck on the yum install line.
This should be called out more clearly.

2. When issuing a "vagrant up", it gets to the point where it asks you
to approve registering with RHN, and then immediately entering your
username.

     default: Would you like to register the system now (default: yes)?
[y|n]    default: username:

That's all on one line, with no carriage return.  I didn't know whether
to hit "y" for yes to register, or enter my username.  I entered my
username and it worked.

3. Once it's set up, it gives you an IP address that you can hit, which
is nice, but, it's a local IP:

==> default: You can now access the OpenShift console on:
https://10.1.2.2:8443/console

Can it be set up to share a public IP on the vagrant host so I can hit
the console remotely?  I realize that some / most are issuing this on
their localhost, but I'm not.

I was able to ssh into the vagrant box and do the "oc" commands.  That
was nice.

4. What version of OpenShift is installed here?  I did not see any
OpenShift packages except openshifttonulecule, nor any atomic-openshift
packages. The box I'm using is:
rhel-cdk-kubernetes-7.2-23.x86_64.vagrant-libvirt.box

5. One note about the install flow:

You can start here:

http://developers.redhat.com/products/cdk/overview/

Then click "Get started" in red at the top, which takes you here:

http://developers.redhat.com/products/cdk/get-started/

Then you start downloading things.  What I'm concerned about is when you
get to the "Install Vagrant" section.  It links out to the vagrant
website.  On that page is a huge "DOWNLOAD" link.  Well, do you want me
to install it from there? Or from the CentOS repos?  I'll keep going...
I installed it from Vagrants website - which caused me library issues later.

So, now I've installed vagrant, I keep going and see a step for "If you
are using: Red Hat Enterprise Linux".  This takes me to another site:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en/red-hat-enterprise-linux-atomic-host/version-7/container-development-kit-installation-guide/#installing_the_cdk_on_fedora_or_red_hat_enterprise_linux

Which is the CDK installation guide.  That page has me add a CentOS
repo, and install vagrant from there, which fails because I've got these
weird ruby deps because of the other install I just went through.

The way I got it installed, is that I blew away my host, reinstalled,
and started at the CDK Install guide. listed as the last link above.

Thanks

--

-Scott

Systems Design and Engineering