[Container-tools] CDK issue with different home_directory

Hardy Ferentschik hferents at redhat.com
Mon Apr 24 09:56:21 UTC 2017

Hi,

> > I was not aware that you could specify a different directory. That must be
> > a new feature of RC2?

No, that has been there all the time.

> This we did for our integration test purpose to run it in a CI env.

This is not only for integration testing. It works actually quite well.
So, per default Minishift installs and uses ~/.minishift. Using the
--minishift-home forces the setup to install into the specified directory.
This is, however, only one part of the equation. Once you have done this,
you need to make sure that at runtime (when you are executing minishift commands),
Minishift uses this custom home directory. You do this by exporting MINISHIFT_HOME.
See also https://docs.openshift.org/latest/minishift/using/managing-minishift.html#environment-variables

Bottom line, you can use Minishift community as well as the CDK with a
home directory different to ~/.minishift.

Regarding having multiple instances, that's possible with some caveats.
I can explain more if you want to.

--Hardy