[Container-tools] yum install after "minishift ssh"

Burr Sutter bsutter at redhat.com
Sat Jul 8 14:55:24 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 3:54 AM, Praveen Kumar <kumarpraveen.nitdgp at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 12:28 AM, Burr Sutter <bsutter at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Burr,
>
> > I believe this used to work on the older CDK but it problematic now
> >
> > minishift ssh
> > and
> >
> > sudo yum -y install maven30
> >
> > Loaded plugins: product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager
> >
> > Cannot open logfile /var/log/yum.log
> >
> > No write access to /usr directory
> >
> >   Maybe this is an ostree image?
> >
> >   To disable you can use --setopt=usr_w_check=false
> >

> We have issue on our upstream[0][1] and we are still want to
> understand why a user want to install tools to VM because VM should
> only for docker/openshift payload.

Very fair and reasonable position...

BUT, I am a developer and I like to hack and some days I need to hack on
vanilla RHEL.  Where someone has challenged me with "well, that might be
fine in a container, but I still use VMs or bare-metal, so how does RHEL
behave...."

And I HATE having 2 RHEL VMs, one that I use daily (minishift CDK) and one
that takes 30+ minutes to create just to look at pure RHEL scenarios.

I DO really, really need the ability to have multiple minishift "instances"
on the same laptop, so I can have Demo #1 env vs Demo #2 env but that is
different from also having access to a RHEL instance to test things at a
pure OS level.

Granted, I can totally whack OpenShift at the RHEL level but I know that I
am playing dangerously and that should be encouraged in development.   The
primary purpose of minishift is for devs to learn, experiment, hack, feel
pain, learn and hack so more.