[Container-tools] CRI-O vs. ContainerD

Mohammed Ahmed moahmed at redhat.com
Tue Mar 21 14:11:18 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 6:59 PM, Josh Berkus <jberkus at redhat.com> wrote:

> Dan,
>
> This is a nice explanation.  If you soften the politics, and add a
> little more detail, it would make a good blog post.

+1 That was really good.

> On 03/20/2017 05:07 PM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> >

> > On 03/20/2017 12:33 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >> ... can someone give me a practical rundown?
> >>
> >> Speaking as a Kubernetes user, how are these different?
> >>
> > CRI-O is a CRI Daemon that is being developed to support Kubernetes
> > workloads using three sub packages
> >
> > github.com://containers/storage
> > github.comf://containers/image
> > github.com://opencontainers/runtime-spec and
> > github.com://opencontainers/runc
> >
> > Red Hat is taking the lead on this effort, but we have major
> > contributors from Suse, Intel, IBM.  It is part of an k8s incubator
> > project.  Available now in Rawhide as the ocid package.  We are
> > currently passing about 1/3 of the k8s CRI test suite.  Hope to pass all
> > within 6 months.
> >
> > ContainerD is an new monolithic daemon from Docker Inc. It includes what
> > is containerd from the docker project which was a daemon built mainly to
> > support the Swarm workloads as well as sucked parts of the docker daemon
> > out to handle container storage and pulling/pushing images. As of now it
> > does not support k8s CRI, although that is clearly Docker Inc's aim.  It
> > also only supports storage on Overlay2 and Aufs.  They did some redesign
> > of the Storage layer to make it different then Docker mechanism.  (We
> > based containers/storage off of the Docker storage).  Containerd still
> > has Solomon Sykes as the BDL of containerd.  We submitted pull requests
> > to use containers/storage and containers/image to containerd but was
> > rejected by the containerd team.  Docker would like to see containerd be
> > the one Daemon to handle all container workloads.  We think at some
> > point in the future the upstream docker project will move to containerd.
> >

> --
> --
> Josh Berkus
> Project Atomic
> Red Hat OSAS

*Mohammed Zeeshan Ahmed*
Associate Software Engineer, Redhat Developers Team (Devtools)
http://mohammedzee1000.wordpress.com https://mojo.redhat.com/people/moahmed

RED HAT | DIFFERENT FOR THE SAKE OF BETTER TECHNOLOGY

Find out why every airline, telecom, commercial bank, healthcare, and
financial data services company in the Fortune 500 relies on Red Hat.

Trusted | Red Hat <https://www.redhat.com/en/about/trusted>