[Crash-utility] crash and the "hugemem" kernel

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Thu Nov 10 16:47:02 UTC 2005

"Kurtis D. Rader" wrote:

> Should crash be able to read a RHEL 3 hugemem dump? I've got a x86 14 GiB
> netdump vmcore taken under controlled conditions (e.g., system was booted
> and a crash dump manually invoked) that the crash(1) command doesn't like:
>
>     vmcore: initialization failed

Hi Kurt,

As it turns out, this is most definitely due to the new kdump support.

I ran into it by mistake, and only when inadvertently including another
argument in addition to the vmcore and vmlinux arguments on the crash
command line.  Perhaps you were using a System.map file, or maybe a
vmlinux file and a vmlinux.debug file on the command line?  Anyway,
it has to do with is_kdump() passing its work on to is_netdump(),
which failed on the extra argument and erroneously cleared the valid
bit.  (With just vmlinux and vmcore file arguments, it works OK.)

In any case, I'll have a fix for it in the next release, which I'm
hoping to do today.