[Crash-utility] Yet another kernel change for crash

Badari Pulavarty pbadari at us.ibm.com
Mon Nov 14 21:49:48 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 15:06 -0500, Dave Anderson wrote:
> Badari Pulavarty wrote:
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > It looks like "mm_struct _rss" now got changed.
> > Now we have "mm_struct _file_rss" instead.
> >

> Hi Badari,
>
> This can be handled similarly to the way I suggested re: the
> kmem_cache
> issue.  In fact, there already is this in place to deal with the
> original name
> change from mm_struct.rss to mm_struct._rss:
>
>         MEMBER_OFFSET_INIT(mm_struct_rss, "mm_struct", "rss");
>         if (!VALID_MEMBER(mm_struct_rss))
>                 MEMBER_OFFSET_INIT(mm_struct_rss, "mm_struct",
> "_rss");
>
> i.e., itt needs yet another qualifier:
>
>        MEMBER_OFFSET_INIT(mm_struct_rss, "mm_struct", "rss");
>        if (!VALID_MEMBER(mm_struct_rss))
>                 MEMBER_OFFSET_INIT(mm_struct_rss, "mm_struct",
> "_rss");
>        if (!VALID_MEMBER(mm_struct_rss))
>                 MEMBER_OFFSET_INIT(mm_struct_rss, "mm_struct",
> "_file_rss");

I already made this change and its working fine. Only concern
reading comments is, now total rss = file_rss + anon_rss.
I wasn't sure if it was the case earlier or "rss" used to represent
the whole thing and now got split up.

> Can you check that out?  I'm also (maybe incorrectly) presuming
> that you were looking into fixing the kmem_cache issue as well?
> Is that true?

Well, I hacked up kmem_cache stuff to make it work. I need to
figure out a clean way to make sure we don't break backward
compatibility. Ofcourse, I could add VALID_MEMBER() every where
but code looks ugly.

I was thinking of adding something like ..

MEMBER_OFFSET_INIT_STRUCTS(kmem_cache_s_name, "kmem_cache_s",
		"kmem_cache", "name");

Which checks first structure and if INVALID_MEMBER() uses
the second structure.

What do you think ?

Thanks,
Badari