[Crash-utility] reason for being

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Mon Oct 3 13:22:59 UTC 2005

Welcome aboard -- even if you don't want to be on deck!

My arm's been twisted into creating this list for things like
crash usage questions, bug reports, patch postings, feature
requests, release announcements, and the like.

Actually the real impetus for this list comes from the upstream
kernel development of kexec/kdump facility as a generally-accepted
manner of saving kernel core dumps.  And as such, the crash utility
will be updated to support the new kdump vmcore format, while
continuing support for netdump and diskdump, and with a little
help from my friends, LKCD.

If you are wondering, I have seeded the subscriber list with
several prolific crash users and developers.  I'll also put a pointer
to this list in the crash.changelog file on my people site, which I'm
guessing may bring in several more.  We shall see...

In any case, I won't be insulted if you unsubscribe immediately.
For those who do stick around, please feel free to post on this
list messages that you have previously sent directly to me.

Thanks,
  Dave Anderson