[Crash-utility] crash warnings

Badari Pulavarty pbadari at us.ibm.com
Wed Apr 26 16:59:22 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 14:42 -0400, Dave Anderson wrote:
> Badari Pulavarty wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I get following crash warnings on x86-64 machine. Wondering why ?
> > And also, its not showing stacks correctly.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Badari
> >
> >  # ./crash /var/log/dump/2006-04-24-08:02/vmcore  /usr/src/linux/vmlinux
> >
> > crash 4.0-2.23
> > Copyright (C) 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006  Red Hat, Inc.
> > Copyright (C) 2004, 2005, 2006  IBM Corporation
> > Copyright (C) 1999-2006  Hewlett-Packard Co
> > Copyright (C) 2005  Fujitsu Limited
> > Copyright (C) 2005  NEC Corporation
> > Copyright (C) 1999, 2002  Silicon Graphics, Inc.
> > Copyright (C) 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002  Mission Critical Linux, Inc.
> > This program is free software, covered by the GNU General Public
> > License,
> > and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under
> > certain conditions.  Enter "help copying" to see the conditions.
> > This program has absolutely no warranty.  Enter "help warranty" for
> > details.
> >
> > GNU gdb 6.1
> > Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you
> > are
> > welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> > conditions.
> > Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> > There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for
> > details.
> > This GDB was configured as "x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu"...
> >
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> > WARNING: possibly bogus exception frame
> >       KERNEL: /usr/src/linux/vmlinux
> >     DUMPFILE: /var/log/dump/2006-04-24-08:02/vmcore
> >         CPUS: 2
> >         DATE: Mon Apr 24 08:02:03 2006
> >       UPTIME: 00:06:31
> > LOAD AVERAGE: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
> >        TASKS: 63
> >     NODENAME: elm3a242
> >      RELEASE: 2.6.16-20-smp
> [...]

I did little more digging around :)

crash -d1 shows me

crash: get_netdump_panic_task: crashing_cpu: 1
crash: get_netdump_panic_task: failed
crash: get_active_set_panic_task: failed

Looking at get_netdump_panic_task(), there is no code to handle
EM_X86_64 ? I see checks for

                if (nd->elf64->e_machine == EM_386) {
		..
		}