[Crash-utility] crash can not read ia64 lkcd v9 dump

Bernhard Walle bernhard.walle at novell.com
Fri Dec 8 17:53:58 UTC 2006

Hello Dave,

* Dave Anderson <anderson at redhat.com> [2006-12-08 16:56]:

> "vmlinux-2.6.5-7.282-debug" must have debug information right?  Crash
> will not work without at least one debug-full vmlinux file on the command
> line, and since it works without the map.4, it must be debug-full.

vmlinux-2.6.5-7.282-debug was compiled with -g.

> > Without the map.4 argument, crash doesn't complain about the file
> > formats.
>
> ...but the virtual addresses probably don't line up completely?

Yes, it doesn't work at all, with and without a mapfile, and I guess
that format changes occurred in the lkcd dump because of this message

    crash: LKCD machine specific dump header doesn't match crash version
    crash: traceback of currently executing threads may not work

I'm debugging that now. But, if you have some patches already in the
queue that I can try out or something like this, I would be happy. ;)

> > Any hints? Thanks!
>
> Yes, the "map.4" file did not return successfully from the
> is_system_map() function in symbols.c.  That function sanity-checks
> the first 100 entries in the file to verify that there are 3 entries
> in each line, that the the first entry contains a 64-bit hexadecimal
> address, and that the second field contains a single character.
>
> For example, this is an example of a 2.4 ia64 kernel
> System.map file:

I know the format of map files. :)

But the problem was easy to fix, see my attachment. You aggree that
the string length must only be smaller. The problem occurs on IA64
here.

> What does "head -100 map.4." show?

    000d5c59 A __crc_simple_sync_file
    0013a785 A __crc_fb_create_modedb
    0014bfd1 A __crc_smp_call_function
    00363991 A __crc_pci_bus_read_config_byte
    004142de A __crc_rwsem_downgrade_wake
    0060e766 A __crc_tty_termios_baud_rate
    00752358 A __crc_permission
    00801678 A __crc_flush_scheduled_work