[Crash-utility] crash can't read vmlinux on live system?

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Fri Feb 24 16:31:41 UTC 2006

Kris Corwin wrote:

> I've had problems running crash on a live system.  I've
> used various versions of crash and different 2.6 kernels.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Kris
>
> [root at f14 linux-2.6.9]# /usr/users/corwin/crash/crash-4.0-2.21/crash
> ./System.map ./vmlinux

Hi Kris,

First, is the vmlinuz that the kernel is running created from the ./vmlinux
file that you're using as an argument?  If that's true, then there's no need
to use the System.map argument.  That's a common misconception, and
in fact, when the System.map argument is used, you will end up losing a
bit of functionality -- like line-number output from the "dis -l" option.  Anyway,
I don't think that has anything to do with the problem here.

The "x86_omit_frame_pointer" and "xtime" read types are the very first
two reads that the crash utility makes from /dev/crash (Red Hat) or from
/dev/mem (non-Red Hat).  I'm guessing that it continued on and complained
about not being able to read the the linux_banner string, and then died?
Anyway, could you please post the complete output from "crash -d7 ./vmlinux"?