[Crash-utility] Re: why gdb backtracing not being used in crash

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Wed Jul 5 15:38:57 UTC 2006

Rachita Kothiyal wrote:

> Hi Dave
>
> I was wondering why in crash we are not using the already existing
> bt via the gdb_interface(). I see it being used in case of alpha
> and ppc64, but am not sure if it works. Could you please throw some
> light on the rationale behind this...
>
> Thanks
> Rachita

I could never get it to work, except "sort-of" on alpha.  But even
on alpha, it would only go back as far as the first kernel exception
frame, and then would go off into the weeds.  I don't know anything
about the ppc64 -- you can ask Haren about that...

As I recall, there was a whole bunch of user environment stuff
that needed to be faked/replicated for it to even come close to
working correctly, i.e., stuff that gdb would be gathering when
running on a user process.