[Crash-utility] crash version 4.0-2.22 is available

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Tue Mar 28 13:53:01 UTC 2006

Sharyathi Nagesh wrote:

> Dave
>         I wanted to bring to notice two more issue that I am currently working.
> One regarding changes done with kmem_cache to make it NUMA compliant.
> 'lists' which was earlier pointing to kmem_list3 structure, lists has
> been renamed first as nodelists than it is made into an array of pointer
> to kmem_list3 structures. So now we have to traverse the whole list
> iteratively to get the same information.
>    As a result of these change kmem -s command fails. To accomodate
> these changes we need to change the function do_slab_chain_percpu_v2 to
> access nodelists iteratively. Still working on it to figure out how I
> can accommodate these changes.

Hi Sharyathi,

Excellent!  I really appreciate your undertaking of this task.

Anyway, having gone through this kind of "keeping-up-with-the-slab-subsystem"
task many times, I would suggest that you move it into a new function rather
than re-working do_slab_chain_percpu_v2().  Even if there ends up being a bit
a bit of code duplication, future maintenance will be far easier if you make it
a new function.  I would guess that development will be easier too, and you
won't have to worry about breaking backwards-compatibility.

> Second objectsize in kmem_cache has been changed to object_size and this
> is enabled only on selecting config option CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB in the
> kernel.

That's true, but hasn't the functionality of the old "objsize" been replaced
by the new "buffer_size"?

Anyway, again, I appreciate this very much.  I had been planning to address
this, but have been sidetracked totally looking at xen kernel issues.