[Crash-utility] crash enhancements proposal

Michael Holzheu HOLZHEU at de.ibm.com
Fri May 5 07:34:39 UTC 2006

crash-utility-bounces at redhat.com wrote on 05/05/2006 09:06:55 AM:
> > For lcrash (lkcdutils) we have a patch, which provides
> > functionality to create an elf core dump out of a
> > system crash dump. This core dump can
> > then be processed with gdb. We already have code to
> > include swap devices and files.
> >
> > Maybe that is also one option, which should be considered
> > here.
>
> If I am not wrong you meant, that "lcrash" is able to show user space
stack
> backtrace because the dump includes data from swap devices & files?
> Just wondering if you have used "crash" in the same manner?

There exist a patch for an older version of lcrash which implements
the following functionality:

* read in swap files, when you start lcrash. Something like:
>> lcrash System.map dump Kerntypes swap1 swap2 ....
The swapfiles have to be saved of course at boot time
after a system crash.

* implement a core command in lcrash:
>> core <process ID of process XY>
This writes an elf core file for process XY to disk.

After you have the core file, you can use gdb
to analyze the userspace problem:

gdb XY core

Any more questions?

Michael