[Crash-utility] Re: crash enhancements proposal

Michael Holzheu HOLZHEU at de.ibm.com
Mon May 8 15:34:14 UTC 2006

Hi Dave,

crash-utility-bounces at redhat.com wrote on 05/08/2006 04:58:39 PM:
> > a ppc64 or s390x system with enough dasd and other resources to perform

> > an analysis. Given that most of tthe problems I look at do not involve
> > architecture specific issues it would be really useful if I could
analyze
> > ppc64 and s390(x) dumps on a x86 or x86_64 system.
> Right, this is something, we from Linux for zSeries desperately need.
> In Böblingen we currently only use cross lcrash on an intel dump server,
> which can debug s390 and s390x dumps.
> This is an important reason, why crash currently is no option for us.
>
> I know I'm setting myself up for flames here, but
> why not use NFS?  Prior to writing this, I was just
> looking at an x86_64 vmcore file stored on, and
> NFS-mounted from, an x86 netdump server, and have
> done that many times.

One reason is, that zSeries servers are quite expensive and
it is much cheaper to use intel based machines for debugging
dumps.

Another reason is, that you only need one machine,
where dumps of all supported architectures are stored
and where the debugging is done. All people who want to
debug dumps just logon to that system. This is
especially useful for bigger service organizations,
which support different platforms.

A third reason is that some people want to
work offline. Therefore they just copy the dump to
their notebooks.

Michael