[Crash-utility] xencrash-0.2

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Mon Nov 20 14:23:09 UTC 2006

> Hi,
>
> Though I wish it is merged into crash finally,
> I understand it is early to merge at this time
> since kdump for xen hypervisor (and also dom0cut) is
> in still unstable-tree of xen development. So xencrash
> is usefull only for xen developers now.
>
> I think it is a good timing to merge when kdump for
> xen hypervisor become stable and a distribution such as
> RedHat adopt it.
>
> Thanks.
> Itsuro ODA

Hello Itsuro,

I understand that this facility can only be used in
a xen development environment.  However, I prefer to
merge your patch as soon as possible.

As far as I can tell your work is mostly complete,
except for ia64 support.  So I would presume that further
changes will be relatively small updates to your current
patch.  Correct me if I am wrong.

While working with your patch, one of the modifications
I've done is to make it compile on architectures other than
x86 and x86_64.  In order to do that, I plan to #ifdef the
hypervisor-only code such that it only gets compiled for
architectures that support it, since there's no reason to
have non-hypervisor architectures contain the hypervisor-only
code.

The manner in which you have structured the xen integration
into the crash utility is very safe, and remarkably clean.
So, unless you object, I will be merging it -- with a few
modifications that I'm confident that you will not find
objectionable -- and then your subsequent patches can be
made against the most recent crash version.