[Crash-utility] kdump format may be updated

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Fri Oct 27 13:46:56 UTC 2006

Magnus Damm wrote:

[ agree-to-agree love-fest... ]

> I will contact you when I've updated and tested my code. It will take a
> while but I guess within two weeks.
>
> One final question: Is it ok with you that we only use 64-bit ELF file
> format for vmcore under Xen?

That's definitely fine with me -- in fact, I much prefer that so that
we can seamlessly handle 4G+ 32-bit dom0's.

With respect to the Red Hat kdump facility, I thought we had
decided to unconditionally enforce the 64-bit ELF format, but
I see that in the current kexec-ktools package that the
/etc/sysconfig/kdump file still contains this:

# Any additional kexec arguments required.  In most situations, this should
# be left empty
#
# Example:
#   KEXEC_ARGS="--elf32-core-headers"
KEXEC_ARGS=" --args-linux"

And the kexec-tools code still has support for --elf32-core-headers.

But anyway, I'm not the arbiter of that issue.  I'll just make
crash work with anything that comes down the pike.

So, it sounds like we have a plan -- thanks for listening!