[Crash-utility] Debugging PPC crash-dumps on x86_64

Wright, David dwright at egenera.com
Wed Aug 8 16:55:27 UTC 2007

In general, crash doesn't support cross-platform usage.  That is to say,
if you want to
look at a PPC dump, you need to do it on a PPC machine, using a crash
that was
built on a PPC machine.

This is not, strictly speaking, an inherent limitation.  I've got a
version of crash that
can handle MIPS dumps, and I build and run this version of crash on an
x86 system.
While I was at it, I added the capability of building an x86 version of
crash on an x86_64
system, but Dave A. hasn't seemed interested in picking up such changes.

Regards,

  -- David Wright