[Crash-utility] Crash Port for ARM

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Mon Aug 20 20:45:20 UTC 2007

Indraneel wrote:
> Hi,
> We want to port Crash for ARM. AFAIK there is no support available for ARM.
>
> So,
> 1. Is there any porting guide available for Crash?
> 2. If any of the people on this ML have ported crash to another
> architecture, can they please broadly outline the work that needs to be
> done?
>

> TIA,
> Indro

There's no porting guide for new architectures.  But here's a
few rough suggestions to get you started.

The crash sources do include an unused "PLATFORM.c" file that you
can rename to "arm.c", and in that file replace all instances of
the string "PLATFORM_" with the string "arm_".  An ARM #define needs
to be created in "configure.c", and that file needs to be updated
for the "ARM" architecture in the same mammer as is done for the
other arches.  Then add the references to "arm.c" in the Makefile
so it gets compiled.

Then it's primarily a matter of writing all of the necessary
arm-specific functions in your "arm.c" file, as well as adding
a bunch of ARM-segregated #define's in "defs.h".  Also, I'm sure
that there are some newer indirect architecture-specific function
pointers added to the "program_context" structure in defs.h that
have not been stubbed out in PLATFORM.c.

Anyway, I'd get it to compile with the arm.c stub functions first,
and then write the new functionality to replace them to make it
all work.