[Crash-utility] How to examine Xen in a crash dump?

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Thu Aug 23 13:19:52 UTC 2007

Markus Armbruster wrote:
> I got some Xen crash dumps.  I can easily examine dom0's kernel.  I'd
> like to examine the hypervisor.  Possibly dumb question: how do I do
> that?

Best solution:

Take the upstream crash version 4.0-4.5 and apply Oda-san's most recent
"xencrash" patch from the previous post on this list:

  https://www.redhat.com/archives/crash-utility/2007-August/msg00022.html

Then, if they are not already installed on the host system running
the crash session, install:

  kernel-xen-<release>.rpm
  kernel-debuginfo-common-<release>.rpm
  kernel-xen-debuginfo-<release>.rpm

And run the crash session like so:

  $ crash /boot/xen-syms-<release> vmcore

Alternatively, you can use rpm2cpio to extract the
"/boot/xen-syms-<release>" file from kernel-xen-<release>.rpm,
its debuginfo file "/usr/lib/debug/boot/xen-syms-<release>.debug"
from the kernel-xen-debuginfo-<release>.rpm.  Then, if you put
those two files in the same directory, you can do this:

  $ crash /boot/xen-syms-<release> xen-syms-<release>.debug vmcore

The upstream xen doesn't do the the xen-syms-<release>.debug
abstraction from the -g built xen-syms file, so the extra
work is not required, so just "crash xen-syms vmcore" works.