[Crash-utility] crash: cannot resolve "init_task_union"

Sachin P. Sant sachinp at in.ibm.com
Fri Jan 5 05:38:10 UTC 2007

Dave Anderson wrote:
> On a RHEL5 x86:
>
>   crash> sym -q __per_cpu | grep -e start -e end
>   c03100a0 (A) __per_cpu_start
>   c0315ae4 (A) __per_cpu_end
>   crash>
>
> But on your RHEL5 ppc64 kernel:
>
>   # nm -Bn vmlinux | grep __per_cpu
>   c000000000430100 D __per_cpu_start
>   c0000000004356f0 D __per_cpu_end
>   #
>
> So if you remove the two "type == 'A'" qualifiers
> from the if statement above, does it work OK?

Dave , thanks for the hint. Yes these symbols are of
type D on PPC64 machine. Infact after checking on latest
RHEL5 kernels [ with relocatable support ] this is
the case with even other archs also.

[root at llm19 boot]# cat System.map-2.6.18-1.2767.el5 | grep __per_cpu_
c065dd2c r __ksymtab___per_cpu_offset
c0663c64 r __kcrctab___per_cpu_offset
c0666c12 r __kstrtab___per_cpu_offset
c06e6b80 D __per_cpu_offset
c077d100 D __per_cpu_start
c0781de4 D __per_cpu_end
[root at llm19 boot]# uname -i
i386
[root at llm19 boot]#

So this probably can be a generic problem affecting other arch's
also.

Thanks for the help.

Attached here is a patch to fix this problem. Let me know if it's
ok.

Thanks
-Sachin

* On a UP machine running SMP kernel, crash fails while reading idle tasks
* from per cpu data.

Signed-off-by : Sachin Sant <sachinp at in.ibm.com>
---