[Crash-utility] paging command [was Re: crash CPU bound waiting for user response]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Jul 3 14:50:10 UTC 2007

| From: Dave Anderson <anderson at redhat.com>

| > ==> It does not say in what way the terminal is not fully functional.  That
| > seems like a bug.
|
| Sorry, but I have no idea where that WARNING message is coming from,
| i.e., it's not coming from the crash/gdb code base, nor does the
| string "functional" show up in any of the external libraries.  There
| is a crash function that prints "WARNING:" before a passed-in message,
| but no instances of it issue that "functional" message.  And the
| "(press RETURN)" is most certainly not associated with the crash/gdb
| code base.
|
| So I don't know what the "It" is.

Right.

It seems to be coming from /usr/bin/less.

So I tried to suppress by setting the PAGER environment variable to
/bin/cat.  No luck.

The code in main.c:setup_environment ought to use the PAGER
environment variable if it is defined.  This would require changing
scroll_command field, probably from an int to a string containing the
command's path.  (It is probable that a copy of the string need not be
created since environment variable values are stable.)  I would be
willing to propose a patch if you (Dave) would be willing to consider
it.

It turns out that the crash command
	set scroll off
does what I need.  The crash(8) man page did not even hint at this
capability.