[Crash-utility] crash vs irqs

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Jul 8 18:04:32 UTC 2007

Now that the irq command appears to work, I notice that it is too
verbose.

On my machine (AMD Athlon x2), it unconditionally prints 2304 structs,
each taking 27 lines.  Of those, only 23 appear to have been used in
the day that the machine had been up.

Is there a simple way to print only the used entries or perhaps only
print an entry if it is different from the one before it?

Does that kind of logic exist for printing other tables?  If not,
would it be useful?

I wonder why the kernel allocates so many irq_desc entries.  According
to "nm -f sysv vmlinux", irq_desc is 294912 bytes -- more than the
whole RAM on the first UNIX machine I used.

I was looking at x86_64.c: x86_64_dump_irq.  Its last line says:
        error(FATAL, "ia64_dump_irq: irq_desc[] does not exist?\n");
It should say:
        error(FATAL, "x86_64_dump_irq: irq_desc[] does not exist?\n");