[Crash-utility] Re: crash-4.0-4.3 and linux-2.6.22.1-20.fc7

Andi Kleen andi at firstfloor.org
Mon Jul 23 10:26:13 UTC 2007

Dave Anderson <anderson at redhat.com> writes:

> > Using the latest F7 kernel and crash I'm getting the following
> > error:
> > WARNING: cannot read linux_banner string
> > crash: /usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/2.6.22.1-20.fc7/vmlinux and
> > /dev/crash do not match!
> > I've tried both crash and crash -f with no luck.
> > I've search the mailing list and was unable to find any
> > thing talked about this problem... So I'm thinking this
> > may not be a known problem... If it is, please let me know
> > otherwise does anybody have idea what the problem could be?
> > tia,
> > steved.
> >

> This elephant still remains in the room...
>
> I can reproduce it with a 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 kernel, which
> I believe has 2.6.22 stuff backported to it.

Don't know about the Fedora kernel, but at least in mainline
__pa/__va still work as before for i386/x86-64. It's a single
add/sub on i386 and on x86-64 similar, but with different ranges
for kernel text vs the other kernel memory.

The load address is variable now, but still has a default
set at compile time in CONFIG.

What might have changed when you enable the relocatable kernel
is that the ELF addresses in the vmlinux are different. But
at runtime there is no difference.

-Andi