[Crash-utility] 64 GiB hugemem vmcore can't be analyzed

Kurtis D. Rader krader at us.ibm.com
Fri Mar 9 23:41:17 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-09 16:32:50, Dave Anderson wrote:
> > crash: ./usr/lib/debug/boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-47.ELhugemem.debug: no text and data contents
> >
> > crash: the use of a System.map file requires that the accompanying namelist
> > argument is a kernel file built with the -g CFLAG.  The namelist argument
> > supplied in this case is a debuginfo file, which must be accompanied by the
> > kernel file from which it was derived.
> >

> As the error message above states, "the namelist argument supplied
> is a debuginfo file, which must be accompanied by the kernel file from
> which it was derived".
>
>  crash -d255 System.map-2.4.21-47.0.1.ELhugemem /vmware/vmcore \
>     ./usr/lib/debug/boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-47.ELhugemem.debug
>
> Get rid of the System.map file, and then go find and put the
> /boot/vmlinux-2.4.21-47.ELhugemem file on the comand line.

Thanks for the clue-by-four :-) I can now analyze the dump.

I was mislead because I got the same error using what I thought was a
standard "-g" kernel. It turns out a coworker put the kernel-debuginfo
vmlinux in our /linux/debug_kernels filesystem. That directory should only
contain kernels we've built from source with the -g switch; nothing else.
Grrrr.

Kurtis D. Rader, Linux level 3 support  email: krader at us.ibm.com
IBM Integrated Technology Services      DID: +1 503-578-3714
15350 SW Koll Pkwy, MS DES1-01          service: 800-IBM-SERV
Beaverton, OR 97006-6063                http://www.ibm.com