[Crash-utility] how to analyze a 32bit dump with a 64bit crash

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Tue Mar 27 16:05:14 UTC 2007

"Wright, David" wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> This seemed like the perfect opportunity to ask if this proves
> there might be a market for my cross-compilation additions to
> crash.

Maybe you and the MontaVista guys could get together
and come up with a common cross-compilation plan.

> Not the byte-swapping stuff.  The lack of hosannas from your
> end has caused me to tearfully conclude that I didn't make the
> cut.
>
> So let me propose a couple of things:
>
> 1)  How about if I just submit my diffs that allowed for
>     cross-compilation of the x86 version on a 64-bit platform?
>     Plus any bug fixes or other minor amendations I had?

I guess I missed that part. I thought the patch was only for
supporting the MIPS 4000 on a 32-bit x86 platform?  If you're
only talking about supporting x86 on x86_64, why bother?

> 2)  I might have a better solution to this whole "how to do
>     byte-swapping, where needed, without confusing everything
>     in sight?"  A partial solution, anyway.
>
>     The model would be based on the difference between malloc
>     and calloc calling sequences.  With malloc, you just specify
>     the length you want.  With calloc, you specify a number of
>     items and the length of each item.
>
>     We could have a readmem variant that incorporates the calloc
>     style.  Don't specify a length, specify an item count and an
>     item length.  Then the byte swappers could hook into this,
>     but ordinary code would still do a readmem-style thing.
>     Would this be any better?

I suppose you could encode a whole bunch of stuff into the current
readmem()'s "error_handle" flag.  It only uses 3 bits now, and it seems
that there would only be a need for one readmem(), which could do all manner
of different things based upon the byte-swapping or whatever flags,
all of which could be conditionally no-op flags for non-cross-compiled
versions.