[Crash-utility] [RFC] Crash extension for SystemTap

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Wed May 23 21:12:19 UTC 2007

> Hi Satoru,
>
> I think you also meant to attach the stplog.c (and its own Makefile?)
> to your post?
>
> Is the format of the trace data used by systemtap always the same?
> I.e., is it always a kernel buffer filled with ASCII data?
>
> You mention that the command makes a file in a subdirectory of the
> running crash session.  Wouldn't it be more flexible to dump the
> output to the terminal?  And then if you want to save it to a file,
> just do something like this:
>
>  crash> stplog -m mod_name > outputfile

In a subsequently-posted Red Hat bugzilla, it's been clarified that
the systemtap data is of an undetermined format, so terminal output
would not be advisable.  So ignore that suggestion...

Also, my understanding is that this extension will be part of the
systemtap package, given that the manner of accessing the data
may change over time based upon the version of systemtap.