[Crash-utility] Broken vtop on kernel 2.6.20?

Alex Sidorenko asid at hp.com
Wed May 30 16:21:52 UTC 2007

On May 30, 2007 12:06:51 pm Dave Anderson wrote:
> I forgot about this anomoly because Red Hat RHEL kernels outlaw the use of
> /dev/mem for anything above the first 256 pages of physical memory (for
> security purposes).  And for that reason, RHEL kernels contain the
> /dev/crash driver for live memory access, which is unrestricted.

Dave,

thank you very much for your explanations. I have compiled a modified version
of 'crash.ko' on 2.6.20 and now 'ps -a' works fine indeed. It is interesting
that earlier versions of Ubuntu (e.g. with kernel 2.6.15) did not let me
use 'crash' without /dev/crash at all - so I had to install crash.ko. Then
after upgrade to Ubuntu/feisty I have found that everything works fine
with /dev/mem...until I tried the new 'ps -a' command.

Regards,
Alex

Alexandre Sidorenko             email: alexs at hplinux.canada.hp.com
Global Solutions Engineering:   Unix Networking
Hewlett-Packard (Canada)