[Crash-utility] Re: Re: Re: crash and sles 9 dumps (Dave Anderson)

Daniel Li dli at virtualiron.com
Mon Sep 10 16:40:52 UTC 2007

Dave Anderson wrote:
> Daniel Li wrote:
>> It seems the problem is not one with guest dump, but the version of
>> SLES.
>>
>> After upgrading my NATIVE SLES 9 system to SP 3, exactly the same
>> problem happened while trying to use 'crash' on the live system, with
>> a debug linux kernel ('vmlinux.dbg' below) built on the same system
>> from matching 'kernel-source' package. (During this upgrade, the
>> linux kernel changed from 2.6.5-7.97-smp to 2.6.5-7.244-smp, the same
>> as that on the guest.)
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this?
>
> Did anything change in the task_struct between 2.6.5-7.97-smp and
> 2.6.5-7.244-smp?
>
> Or, more likely, anything associated with the pidhash/pid_hash-related
> code in the kernel?
>
> Is the output of the crash command "help -t | grep refresh_task_table"
> different when running against 2.6.5-7.97-smp vs. 2.6.5-7.244-smp?
>
> Dave

The definition of task_struct between 2.6.5-7.97-smp and 2.6.5-7.244-smp
did change. There is one new 8-bytes field called 'last_ran' before the
list_head for tasks. This is what I don't get: why should it matter as
long as the dump and debug kernel are using the same definition?

The output of "help -t | grep refresh_task_table" didn't change.

Later,
Daniel

struct task_struct {
        volatile long state;    /* -1 unrunnable, 0 runnable, >0 stopped */
        struct thread_info *thread_info;
        atomic_t usage;
        unsigned long flags;    /* per process flags, defined below */
        unsigned long ptrace;

        int lock_depth;         /* Lock depth */

        int prio, static_prio;
        struct list_head run_list;
        prio_array_t *array;

        unsigned long sleep_avg;
        long interactive_credit;
        unsigned long long timestamp, last_ran;
        int activated;

        unsigned long policy;
        cpumask_t cpus_allowed;
        unsigned int time_slice, first_time_slice;

        struct list_head tasks;
        struct list_head ptrace_children;
        struct list_head ptrace_list;