[Crash-utility] crash 4.0-3.14 and SLES 10

Daniel Li dli at virtualiron.com
Thu Sep 13 19:34:21 UTC 2007

reagen_jeff at emc.com wrote:
> I am trying to look at a live SLES 10 system using crash. Crash fails to
> start successfully. It returns:
> 	crash: /boot/vmlinux: no debugging data available
>
> The vmlinux file in question is not stripped.
>
> Has anyone else been able to get this to work? If so what did you do?
>
> Jeff
>
> --

 From what I saw, 'not stripped' doesn't mean it has the .debug_info
section. After I compiled a kernel with '-g' flag and feed that to
crash, that error message went away. You can use 'readelf' to check the
existence of .debug_info section. So far the non-SMP SLES kernels seem
to work fine with crash once you build the kernel with '-g'. However,
there seems to be  some problems with crash and SMP SLES kernels... I'm
having a discussion with Dave Anderson in another thread on that which
you can check out if you are interested.

Later,
Daniel